Sunday, March 20, 2011

Are walkthrough a kind of cheat?

We loved to play adventure games. Playing this kind of games we faced many times being in front a very difficult puzzle, so, what to do then? Majority of "point and click" games as Day of Tentacle ,Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis , Simon the Sorcerer ,Sam & Max hit the road were the ones I remember with more joy. But, how much time lost in seeking the solution of the riddle and find the object to use in order to move forward in the history of the game. And maybe it was just in front of players and we never noticed. When I was 15 I remind I used to play with all my classmates, every morning we exchanged tips on how to solve puzzles... first experiments of social gaming.


Look for example one solution of Day of Tentacle one of most downloaded game in Squakenet:



In my opinion you should not make a habit, this does not make you honor, but, if you're stuck... It is also true that the games are created to pass the time in a calm and relax and those games are made to involve you and try to finish as soon as you've started the story. However, we must have patience because patience pays trust!

Good Luck.

5 comments:

  1. I remember playing Monkey Islands, Indiana Jones and Day of the Tentacle, when I wasn't even at school yet. I barely knew any english words, or even what they meant.
    I used to watch my brother play these games and learned to tie certain words to certain actions. Of course, I kinda learned to play some puzzles through at the same time. Usually when I asked him for some help, he said what do do in Finnish, so I still had solve through the different language.
    At the end, I was more than happy to get games through, even I didn't know what the hell the characters said :D

    Nowdays I know almost every classic Lucasarts and Sierra adventure game by heart, and still they manage to bring memories from childhood and warm my inside with their good stories and lots of different dialogue to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must confess... I did it! First time for Monkey Island to pass a puzzle. Then, honestly I had to use several time a walkthrough for Curse of Monkey Island. I admit, shame on me :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also did it for one or two times, but not with sam & max.... indeed I never completed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used a walkthrough in the first MI1, just to get over the insult sword fighting :P
    I won the Sword Master just by guessing the right line. So frustrating.

    Same as in Fate of Atlantis. I didn't understand the Platos Lost Dialogue, which told the right positions for the stone disks, so I always tried every combination 'til I found the right one.
    Many times I quitted the game in frustration, especially in the map room in the dungeon in Crete.

    ReplyDelete