Sunday, November 21, 2010

Voice from Monkey Island

During last week I was having a beer with one colleague of mine, Matteo, and, as usual beetween tech guys we started talking about games. Well, discussions with Matteo are two, games or girls, so it happens frequently (less frequently than speaking about girls) to end up speaking about (old) videogames.

Nothing special, we were chatting about the firsts episodes of Monkey Island series, and I made an observation. Who knows how the series have been developed if Ron Gilbert would have followed it instead of leaving Lucas Arts.

I found an interesting interview made some years ago by a German broadcaster to Ron, and basically he has been asked about it. Well, the answer is "politically correct" and in my opinion the real story did finish with the second episode.



An interesting observation Ron makes, is about the "bizzare" ending of Monkey Island 2: you love it or you hate it. I did love it, even if it was sad because it meant the end of that great masterpiece. That is what makes me think it's the real ending... unless the secret Ron speaks about demonstrates I am wrong...

Then I do agree also on the hollywood budget the games have now, where marketing really dominates giving always less space to creativity. Indeed, Ron has a deep abandonware soul.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I don't think Tales of Monkey Island from Telltale had a so "hollywood-ish" budget to go by, so maybe there is still room for gaming production with the only thing that matters, ie the game itself :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting comment Alfonso, but I think the comparison should be done with a classic game release. TellTaleGames finally chose a specific business model based on short episodes (for MI but also for Sam and Max for instance), and however, they spend quite a lot of money in marketing. I found this nice article http://www.gamesxtreme.net/pc/game/tales-of-monkey-island/review.html about how budget could affect the game production.

    I think this kind of model can be adopted on such titles that have a story to build around (such adventure games) or casual games also.

    ReplyDelete