Monday, November 1, 2010

Strategy changed

Time for the second post in this new place opened just a week ago. Let's start with a concrete topic, I would like to share with you my thoughts about Civilization series. We all know that repeat theirself it's a hard mission, and generally any series finish to ruin the reputation of the ancestor. However, I would like to focus on the changes that Civilization had along the years, taking in consideration it's going to be released the fifth chapter, Civilization V.

Yes, tomorrow, November 2nd, a new chapter of the best turn strategy saga is going to be officially release. Reviews and trailers announce changes in the gameplay, like you can check from the following video.





Well, I've been playing all the previous version, and sincerely I do not trust at all. It was 1991 when Civilization was first released. I played first time several years later. It was in 1995 to be precise. I was fascineted by this game and I discovered with it how great can be turn based strategy. I remind that first game was more oriented to defeat opponents. In fact, diplomacy did exist, but it was not oriented to collaboration.

Same direction with the second one, Civilization 2, that I played first time in 1999 (I know guys, I always arrive quite late...). I liked a lot more the new technologies introduced, new wonders and all other stuff. Indeed nicer graphics than the first Civilization. I think I did hundreds of games, never boring.

Different story comes with Civilization 3. I played something like 3 years ago. With this chapter, the series takes a different direction. You must collaborate with other civilizations and reputation matters. Very good improvement was made with the influence of the territory that define your land. Also, very good idea it was adding minerary resource. However it had a side effect, since, you will be chasing for those resources, and, if you are unlucky not to have in your territory you're offside (well, like it happens in real world...). The games in Civ 3 are too long, in fact I think I did not manage to complete one, reaching a complete stall (I was always at war with Gandhi).

Civilization 4, did really introduce nothing new (just cosmetic change). It is a new dress for Civ 3, and I played last summer during one week. The game introduces new features in long term strategical choices, such as economy or religion (depending on what you choose, you can may benefit in happiness of people or good finance). Another very interesting feature is the threshold for being named as winner of the game (around 70% of territory or population if I am not wrong) and the UN too. When the United Nation palace is built, there is election for the president and if you have good reputation you could be elected. The side effect is that the number of votes are based on the population, so, I managed to be proclamed as president just with my votes.

Even with those improvements, the game is too easy. I mean it has not a balance and it gives you not so much to think. The most challenging, till now remains Civ 3, even though it can get bored. Whilst a very good balance is Civ 2, that I do suggest downloading (from Squakenet, of course) and playing.

1 comment:

  1. I bought it and it's faboulous! Improved a lot compared to the previous ones.

    ReplyDelete