Tuesday, December 21, 2010

No happy ending

I am back to my house for Christmas holidays. Moving back and forth for Europe during this period is not so nice, but fortunately I had no problem with flight. Then, back home I was speaking to my brother about the blog started here at Squakenet, and we did end up with nice old memories.

In particular we've been discussing about those videogames that we played togheter, where we spent plenty of consecutive hours to see how it finish, and then, remaining like a dumb in front of it.

I remind the first one was one we used to play to Commodore 64, it's name was Dribbling. It was a soccer simulation of italian Serie A, with teams and player of first 90s. Quite nice play, same style as Kick Off 2. At the end of each game (around 15 minutes) there was the newspaper with the result:



We decided to spent a whole day to finish it in order to see great features such the possibility to buy new players for the next season. Well, our expectaction was completely broken when after more than 10 hours playing (there was no possibility to save...) the end of the game was again that stupid newspaper stating your team (Juventus) won the championship followed by the game's credits.

Another one we reminded was Bubble Bobble. Here we spent less time because we were quite good trained after hours and hours of play, and we knew where to get the umbrella that made you skip 7 levels along the game. Well, the ending is here below (jump to the last minutes), sure it was not what we did expect, but, it was not even so terrible:



However the most terrible broken expectation was about Ghost and Goblins. We did wait so much time and we did spent so much money in the coin op... when finally I had the trilogy for my Playstation 1. It was 2002 or 2003, and you know guys how difficult the game is: well, we played several hours before arriving to the last stage, the final boss. I was expecting Sir Arthur to save the beloved girlfriend, a happy ending after the struggle, but ... see what it really happens:



An illusion?? we were sweating blood and that was an illusion!!

2 comments:

  1. Made me remember the hard it was to me to progress in most games when i was just a newbie to the PC, at age of 9. Specially in graphic adventures... or RPGs. Most of the difficulty came from the fact that those games were english versions... and i didn't understood english very well until years later (mostly thanks to playing those same games). Most of those games i was only able to finish as i was able to actually understand what was going on (and what certain objects like "rubber-chicken" could possibly be...). In the worst case, Ishar I, i could finish it for first time just 3 years ago when i decided to replay some of those good old games (15 years after i first played!)

    Enormous struggles i also had with Monkey Island (such a wonderfull, wonderfull game!). I think that it was like 4 years or so since first play and finish, abandoning and retaking gameplay like 4 times during that period. Although, M.I. 2 was a lot easier for me, it took me like a week or two... and that surely was an unexpected ending!

    Oh, and Maniac Mansion! That one felt so impossible to me back then... I can barely remember the ending scene, though.

    -Alfredo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Monkey Island 2 ending was so amazing... I totally agree!

    ReplyDelete